Screaming Banshee

Screaming Banshee
Make Sure You Laugh When There Are Days Like This!!!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I was a Bride

17 years ago today, I was a bride.
Now, I am a single mother of 2 kids. I'm alone in my house, there are thunderstorms outside. I've been on a crying jag all weekend and couldn't figure out why. Then, I looked at today's date.
No one called me, no one acknowledged the day....but, there is no reason to. It's irrelevant that 17 years ago, I was in a wedding dress, my sister was a Maid of Honor, my brother was in a suit, my mother wore Oleg Cassini, and my father looked stunning in his dress uniform. No one cares, no one remembers, but it was supposed to be "the happiest day of my life".
Note to Brides: Pick a different day to label the happiest. It is, after all, just a day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine getting married at that age, Helen. Not with any success, anyway. I sat there in the Rollins chapel thinking: this can't last. How is a 20-something man supposed to have a real sense of what it means to be married? I was chasing skirts until I was 27! So never beat yourself up about it. You don't have an anniversary anymore, but you have your children's birthdays, and they'll always love you more than Thrall's fiancee.

Unknown said...

OMG! Dylan, Dylan DeNicola! How the hell are ya? And, how the hell did ya find me? I called Rob as soon as I saw your comment (he's my kids' godfather, and my bestest friend).
Your comments....Too true, too true. But, now I'm fat, almost 40 and feelin' it :). Rob & I want to catch up so ya gotta get in touch!
-Helen

Anonymous said...

Dylan

Wow, it had been forever! Love to chat with you. Send me your email! Mine is RGBeall@aol.com. I too have a blog, do you? Lets catch up.
Cheers
Rob Beall