Screaming Banshee

Screaming Banshee
Make Sure You Laugh When There Are Days Like This!!!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Harrowing Experience

More about Baby!
When I arrived home from work yesterday, I didn't see Baby anywhere in the yard. I did, however, see Momma. She was on the fence with a bug in her beak, giving the "I'm here to feed you" chirp. I could hear Baby responding, but wasn't able to see her. After much searching, I discovered that her chirps were coming from the other side of my fence, under my neighbor's raised, wooden patio. She had somehow be-bopped her way under my fence and gotten lost under their patio. There isn't an opening between my yard and the underneath, but there are little paths that were probably created by the chipmunks that pop into my yard every so often. Baby couldn't find her way back out. I would go to the fence, call her name, and she would respond with her little chirps.
I spent the next couple of hours trying to figure out how to coax Baby out. I tapped on the fence, tried to move the dirt around so she could see light and find her way out. I remembered the glow sticks, bracelets, and necklaces that Ginny wanted for 4th of July. I grabbed a long necklace and put it under the fence hoping Baby would follow the pretty color out of the dark tunnels under the patio. This proved to be the most successful as it brought her closer to the fence, but she wasn't coming out.
Finally, I got a flashlight and my gardening gloves. I laid down on my stomach in the dirty garden filled with worms & slugs. I could see Baby's feet! With the gloves on, I put my hand behind Baby and guided her out. She squawked and flapped, but made it out. Momma stood by chirping loudly, but not attacking.
I can't believe that I spent hours on my belly trying to save a baby bird. I have become so attached to Baby.

No comments: