Screaming Banshee

Screaming Banshee
Make Sure You Laugh When There Are Days Like This!!!

Monday, November 10, 2008

Lane 4 is No More

And, this makes me sad......

Our cabin on the lake in Idaho has had the address of Lane 4 since I was born.....Hell...since before my Father was born. This lake has been an integral part of the Smetheram Family history since at least the 1920s. And, that cabin has always been on Lane 4.

To conform to modern times, the county decided we needed to change the name (I think it was for the purposes of emergency services, but I chalk it up to the government nosing in). We submitted names which had to do with Moose......moose have now become an integral part of Lane 4, so we thought that would be a great match.

Alas, the county shot down our moose....names, that is. Apparently, there are too many Moose-type names in existence in Kootenai County. I had some really great suggestions:
Evil Squirrel Lane - in honor of the squirrel which tortured my sister this past summer
Twin Moose Lane
Moose Lane.....but my Dad knew those wouldn't be accepted by the county. He proposed to honor the Quail which run around from the empty lot next to us, to the empty lot across the street. So, now it will be known as Covey Lane.

It sounds so trendy. How can I make fun of Lane 4, and the quaintness that is Idaho with the name Covey Lane? How sad that we are not able to honor the Moose of Twin Lakes!

At least The Lightning Bar is still there! Please do not take that away from our Idaho repertoire....

Here's to you, Lane 4! Cheers to you, Lane 4! Regardless of the Covey, you will always be 4th in my heart!

No comments: