Screaming Banshee

Screaming Banshee
Make Sure You Laugh When There Are Days Like This!!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tools for Teaching


I use television as a teaching tool with my children. Particularly shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, and Boston Legal. I do this mostly with my 14 year old son, and explain that they often go for the extremes and dramatization for ratings. But, I can’t even tell you how many conversations have been generated this way.

I was blown away by my son’s insights this week which relate to my sister’s blog: thefairfax.blogspot.com and the response he had to a VERY similar thought process.

Drew’s school has been studying The Holocaust. An Auschwitz Survivor visited his school this week and spoke with them. He said that half of the football team was crying over the loss of this man’s family, the numbers tattooed on his arm, and the impact of him witnessing his sister’s death and the shooting of others. TRAGIC! I cried as he spoke about it! His eyes were red-rimmed as he was telling me.

Boston Legal had an abortion storyline this week. Drew and I discussed the issues and reasons for abortion. I explained that I don’t believe it should be used as a method of birth control and that if one has unprotected sex, abortion should not be the backup to condoms or other birth control methods. He understood and was thoughtful of that. Then it moved into “in cases of rape”. And, I brought up the issue of “medical cases” and “genetic testing”. When I related this to his sister with Cystic Fibrosis, the conversation floored me.

What if we had known before Ginny was born that this fetus had Cystic Fibrosis and was an expensive, time-consuming, emotionally draining disease and that we should consider aborting for medical reasons….
Drew’s response was “That’s just like the Nazis”. WHOA!!!! WOW!!! This 14-year old boy has been so stricken by the discrimination which was carried out against a group of people in a “long-ago” generation that he has applied it to his own life and is seeing it from his perspective in HIS generation. WOW…..

What a thought-provoking young man! Did I raise him? Did he really come from me? How amazing of an intelligent, sensitive young man! God, please, please keep his insight and sensitivity intact as he grows into a man.

No comments: